Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ironman New Zealand

Finish Strong Coaching's Susan Hardwick-Smith had an amazing day at Ironman New Zealand.

Susan Hardwick-Smith at IM NZ!

Susan reports, "Hey my super IM follower friends! What an amazing day. Swim was fantastic and totally clear, can avoid getting hit/kicked because you can see the feet and hands and easy to draft because you can see who to get next to. It was beautiful and as soon as I got in the water I felt totally calm. The time went really fast and I couldn't believe it was already over when I got to the last bouy. Transition was REALLY far.. 400m run then up two big flights of stairs, took at least 5 mins to get there since path was really crowded.

Weather was absolutely perfect, wind was way less than it had been, only 5 mph at the start but picked up quite a bit by the afternoon. Cold at start about 45 but got up to high 60s and sunny, 50 prevent humidity it felt like San Diego weather.

Bike was just SLOW.. I took everything off my computer except cadence and power and had no idea of my time until I got off the bike, but honestly I was surprised it wasn't longer. The main issue was the chip seal which was the whole course, it was  so bumpy the bike rattled constantly and my CO2 cartridges fell off at mile 10 and bits of people's bikes and gear were all over the place. Thank god I didn't get a flat. The power it takes to ride on that stuff is just much higher than smooth road, but I followed the rules and my average power was the upper end of exactly what it should have been.

Going out there was a long downhill section but really hard to fly down without drafting and with so much bike traffic and crazy passing, no one calls out when they are passing (except Americans) and it was really scary.

Every time I wanted to pass I felt like someone was on my right (passing side). Then after a long flat section it turns back on the same road, and after the turn around there was a 5 mph headwind which doesn't sound much but with chip seal and being largely uphill it added just one more thing to slow you down. Close to the end of the loop is a 6 mile uphill segment (same hill we flew down going out) that I think I could have jogged up faster than I rode! On the second loop that hill was at mile 102-108 and wind was up to
8-10 mph, I just wanted to cry. Also I had excruciating pain in my right buttock after mile 80 every time I pushed down and ended up riding miles 80-112 basically with my left leg. I thought it would prevent me from running but as soon as I got off the bike the pain went away and I was so thrilled to be off the bike I ran really well and passed about half of the guys who smoked me on the bike. Most of the athletes  underestimated that bike ride and I think 90 percent were walking on the last loop. Thank God I had a power meter, you really would be fooled without one in these conditions. But I did not walk at all, I ran every step except in aid stations and felt great until about mile 23 when I just found every bit of mental strength  I could muster to not slow down and ran in really strong.

Swim and run were better than AZ but obviously the bike cost me 40 mins. The kiwis didn't think it was that bad I guess they train on it all the time.  I just did zero training for that kind of road, and the course felt pretty manageable on the computrainer! That's my story and I am sticking to it ! So many cool things happened as usual, amazing memories that I will eventually write down.

I feel great, not a PR but I executed the plan and know it was my absolute best given what was thrown at me. Crossed the finish line and started bawling, could not pull myself together for about 5 mins. This lovely 70 year old lady volunteer held my hand and hugged me until I could gather myself. Amazing volunteers as usual. Thanks for all the love and support, you are all amazing friends and I love you!"


No comments:

Post a Comment