Friday, June 8, 2012

FSR Jane Foley Featured in Lonestar Multisport Newsletter

Finish Strong Racing's Jane Foley was featured in the Lonestar Multisport Newsletter' Member Spotlight this week.  Congrats again, Jane, for accomplishing your first Ironman!  Here's the article:
(Chantal Requier, Jane Archer Foley, Josh Scott with smiles at the end of IM TX.)

Jane Archer Foley, USAT race age 37

ES: How did you get started in triathlon?
JA: I started triathlon in the UK 7 yrs ago. I first started running at university, 2-3 miles, 2-3x a week and got faster. When we moved to Scotland I joined a running club and ran with triathletes and they made me signing up for a triathlon.

ES: What was your first one like?
JA: My first one was a sprint. I showed up with my heavy mountain bike and everyone had really expensive road bikes and it was a pool swim...I loved it! After that I was competing couple times a month. Then I did Houston, got 4th out of 41, and Oilman half IM and completed it, to my surprise, in under 6 hours, and just recently the ironman [TX] in 11.36.

ES: IMTX was your first one, how did it go for you?
JA: The swim was frightening, the ride was slow and steady, the run was great. I had a plan before I started and I was training with Dana. Between the Houston Sprint and Oilman I didn't have a coach so I wasn't sure what level I was at. Having a coach took it to the next level... I followed his training plan to the letter and didn't miss a workout apart from the last week when I had a knee injury. I was worried that I may not do the IM...

ES: It certainly didn't stop you from killing it on the IM...
JA: I saw Chrissy Wellington at the book signing (during expo) and I told her about my knee injury and she said, look Jane, I [Chrissy Wellington] have not done a single IM without an injury and I have won every IM I have ever entered...you know your limits, she said, just set new ones.

ES: Wow.
JA: It was an incredible day [for IM] and the support was wonderful. I had a plan and stuck with the plan, and it worked. I was so focused on what I was doing, I didn't even notice the heat...I had all these mantras going, and that helped.

ES: What was one of them?
JA: "Everybody is hurting right now, but you know you can hurt more"...during the last 4 miles I was the same pace with this guy and at the last mile I was shouting at him the whole time, you can hurt more! You can hurt more!... It was just a perfect day. Only the swim was horrible...

ES: How's that?
JA: It was an absolute mosh pit...all these fists flying, feet flailing in front of me, and I was getting kicked and punched. Next time, I will place myself somewhere different....

ES: There will be a next time?
JA: Nothing will be as bad as North Shore Park (laughs)

ES: You have experience the worst so you can appreciate whatever comes next... so what is your race plan for the rest of the year?
JA: I am going to do some short course races, Olympic in Sept, half in Austin, Woodlands/Houston Marathon. I wouldn't mind reducing my bike time some more, I love the bike. The bike takes you back to being a teenager, riding around in the neighborhood with your friends...I would really like looking into some time trialing...

ES: You looked very strong on all three disciplines, Jane...
JA: I am actually not very strong on any of the three...I am however very strong in transition... very strong at getting dressed, changing my footwear, fastening my race belt, etc...(laughs)

ES: Sounded like you had a great first IM experience. Is there anything you would not have/would have changed about it?
JA: Overall, I felt great mentally and physically; I was so well rested. The week before the race I didn't do any workouts because of my knee injury but my coach said that he would rather I be over-rested than under on the starting line. And I stuck with my plan and it worked. I really know my nutrition; I have practiced it so many time, the only thing I would change is the addition of salt tablets and perhaps some Imodium. I didn't take any this time. The race passed so quickly...one minute I was in the water and the next minute I was running...

ES: You seem to me to have a really good positive attitude for the sport. Many on the course would not have said [IMTX] passed quickly for them.
JA: I just really enjoy it. I am thinking of Cozumel or Arizona for my next IM.

No comments:

Post a Comment