Monday, October 12, 2015

Ironman World Championships - Kona

Congrats to Carl Holt for completing the torturous Ironman World Championship race in Kona on October 10.  Such an amazing accomplishment!








 Here's Carl's report:

 "Last night I crossed the finish line of the 2015 Ironman World Championship in Kailua Kona, Hawaii.  It was a tremendously challenging day and an amazing experience resulting from 10 months of training since winning a lottery slot in January.While I would have liked to go faster, I have no regrets. Not one.

The swim went well (ocean swimming is way tougher than lake or pool swimming!) but there is something creepy about being that far out in the water ( big fish!). Lots of shoving, kicking and punching in the crowd.

The bike was amazing. Riding out in the lava fields it was so hot you felt like melting. The long climb into Hawi for the turn around was crazy and we had a freak thunderstorm of biblical proportions. I saw a wild boar or something ( thought it was going to chase me!) and nearly got blown off the bike many times by the cross winds. The view was incredible with the mountains disappearing into the clouds on one side and the ocean on the other. We enjoyed the fresh breeze of a 30 mph headwind for the last 28 miles into Kona. It was a white knuckle ride most of the day and cranking against that headwind for so long cramped my left leg so bad I had to unclip from the pedal and use the right leg only for awhile. Stomach problems lasted all day so no solid food after hour 2......

The run was awesome with great crowd support while I run/walked. I love the run so it practically killed me to take it slow but that is what I had to do. Out on Kaukini Highway I saw a guy who said " hey, you are Kona Carl, I just saw your picture posted on Facebook by Sarah". How about that.
As we headed out on the Queen K Highway and darkness fell, the aid stations were the only light and support. All you could see were light sticks glowing and hear the squishing of shoes. We went into the Energy Lab portion of the course and the aid station there was a full on laser light show with a DJ and everything. Classic rock blaring. Just what we needed!

Back out on the Queen K in the pitch black night for the final return to Kona and you could hear the finish line music for miles.  A quick couple of turns and out onto Ali'i Drive for a run down the famous finishing chute and hear those famous words "you are an Ironman". The finish line atmosphere was over the top.

Anyone who says they achieve this on their own is mistaken. I had so much help from my coach, Dana Lyons and his team of Chantal Requier, John Tortorici, Jack Alexander and my unofficial coach- Timothy Monk Jr.

Thanks to my wife of more than 22 years MaryPat Holt and my kids who put up with my absence during endless training days and other prep races. I could not have done this without them.
Thanks also to all my brother and sisters as well as friends ( old and new) for the support and encouragement to accomplish this. I appreciate it!

Special thanks to Bob Thompson for staying up late to see the live feed and capturing my finish.
Thanks so much!"

We are all so proud of you and want to celebrate with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment