Monday, September 17, 2012

Scott Peterson featured in Motivate Section of Houston Chronicle

Check our your Houston Chronicle's Motivate section page 8 for the article, "Going the Distance:  Ironman traithlete's secrets:  good coaching, year round training."  The article interviews Finish Strong Coaching athlete Scott Peterson who finished in the top 100 at Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas in May.  (Thanks for your comments about the importance of a good coach, Scott!  I appreciate it! - Dana)

See below for reprint of article:

Houston Chronicle "Motivate The Woodlands" September 2012 Issue

Scott Peterson completes the Ironman Texas Triathlon in the top 100.

Going the Distance:  Ironman Triathlete's Secrets: good coaching, year-round training
By Megan Mattingly-Arthur

Scott Peterson of The Woodlands finished in the top 100 in the Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas traithlon held on May 19.  Peterson, along with more than 2,000 other triathletes, completed a 2.4 mile swim in Lake Woodlands, followed by a 112-mile bike through east Texas farmlands and a 26.2 mile run through The Woodlands.

Q:  What motivates you?

A:  At this point, I think it's just good to have a challenge.  I like to challenge mywself a little bit more.  I always need a competitive outlet, which is one of the reasons I picked up triathlons.  I like to push myself to meet each new challenge.

Q:  How long does it usually take you to train to compete in a big event such as the Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Triathlon?

A:  Ironman usually requires about 20 weeks of training for the specific event, but I guess you could argue that you're training all year round.  Training specifically for it gives you a better starting point.  For an Ironman, people usually devote 10 to 15 weeks to build up to that event.

Q: How do you track your athletic progress when you're training?

A:  My main training tool is TrainingPeaks.  I have a coach (Dana Lyons Finish Strong Coaching) and he actually writes my workout for me every week.  He has the ability to just load it right up to that website, so it's an easy way for me to communicate with my coach.  It tracks any and every metric, and monitors my time, miles and heart rate for all my runs.

Q.  Do you have any advice for people who are considering competing in their first triathlon?

A:  Finding a good coach is critical.  That's the single best advantage and makes it a lot easier to achieve your aggressive goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment