Monday, November 8, 2010

Rocky Raccoon 50K and 25K Trail Runs

The 20th Annual Rocky Raccoon 50K and 25K trail runs took place in Huntsville State Park on Saturday, November 6. Among the long-distance 50K runners was Finish Strong coached athlete Winston Cervantes. Winston came in 18th overall by finishing the 50K run in just 5:09:50.2. He clocked a 2:20:28.2 for the first loop averaging 9:04/m and the second loop in 2:49:22.0 averaging 10:56/mile. Way to go, Winston!

Taking on the 25K trail run was Henrita van Wyngaarden. Henrita reports "I survived the Rocky Raccoon 25K this past Saturday. It was a great day for a race - a bit chilly while waiting for the start (temps in the mid-30's) but was perfect once we got moving. It was the first time in 10 years that I attired a trail run and I forgot how much fan and how challenging they could be!"

"The first mile was on the road, but then we turned onto the trails (in the dark!). Even with a headlight it took a while for my eyes to adjust and I had a few mis-steps but no injuries or falls - all I wanted to do was stay vertical! It got easier to negotiate my steps as the sun came up. Watching the sun come up and seeing the light through the trees as well as hearing the birds was a real treat. Such a nice change from a road race!"

"The first 10 miles went by quickly - probably because I was distracted by watching the trail. The last 5 were harder, and it seemed as though the tree roots were jumping up to try to trip me ... or maybe it was just harder to lift my feet! Finished in about 2:52, which I was happy with. Definitely looking forward to running this one again!"

Thanks for the race report and great job, Henrita!

No comments:

Post a Comment