Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Corpus Christi Triathlon and Duathlon

This year the Corpus Christi Duathlon served as the USAT South Mid West Region Championship race. The turn out was a bit light but that's what you get when the Regional Championship race is scheduled on the same day as the USAT National Duathlon Championship (held in Richmond, VA this year). I'm not sure why the SMW Regional board can not find a race that does not conflict with Nationals!

But take nothing away from STARR, the Corpus Christi Tri club that puts on this race (26 years running!). The course was flat and fast with the exception of when you had to run or bike into the 30 mph headwinds! I ran the first 5k in 17:26 and then headed out on the out and back bike course. Into the wind on the way out it was all I could do to maintain 20 mph but once I made the turn, I headed back into town averaging 31 mph! Fun while it lasted. I was able to bike myself into the lead by the turn around and then extend that lead to a comfortable margin before heading out onto the run. I was pleased that my second run (17:47) was only 21 seconds slower than the first.

Needless to say I was mildly surprised to take the overall win and take home a nice check!

In the triathlon, Kyle Mays braved the 4 to 5 foot seas very successfully exiting the water in 19 minutes (1000m). A solid bike and run earned him a second place finish in his age group. If you ask Kyle, he'll tell you it was the most challenging open water swim he has ever completed.

STARRs put on a nice post event awards party in Cole Park. All in all it was a nice weekend get away for me and my family. If you are looking for a challenging race and a nice place to take the family to, try the Corpus Christi tri or du sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment