Friday, April 24, 2009

Boston Marathon Race Report from Kristin

My 10th marathon, the Houston Marathon in January 2009, was my Boston Qualifying marathon. That was the defining point in which I called myself a runner. Running Boston has been a goal of mine for several years and the training and discipline finally paid off. It was still hard to believe that in April, I would toe the line with the some of the nation's and world's best runners to run the oldest marathon in America.

Many people gave me tips and pointers on how to run the race, what the course was going to be like, where I was going to hurt, how painful Heartbreak Hill was, how the downhills get you early on etc...so on race day, I took all of that into consideration. Running Boston wasn't about a PR for me, rather, it was a celebration of all of the hard work and sweat culminating from several years. With that said, I still wanted to respect the course and do the best I could, while enjoying every step of the 26.2 miles! Afterall, this was the 113th year of the marathon and I would be running on the same roads as the elite and other famous runners, many of which made history during their race. I ran with a camera to capture the course from a runner's standpoint and managed to take 60 pictures- mostly in focus!The crowd support for the marathon was absolutely incredible. From the beginning of the race in Hopkinton all the way to the Finish Line at Copley Square, people lined the course cheering on the runners.

It was like a 26 mile tailgate party with people barbecuing, kids playing, stereos cranking out music, and continuous updates on the score of the Red Sox game ( they won 12-1 by the way!) With all of the crowd support, it was easy to feel like a Rock Star and the road was your stage. They didn't know who I was, but they sure encouraged me anyway. Around mile 12, there was a sign that said "Brace your Ears" and you soon found out why. About a half mile away, you could hear this faint high pitched noise. Yep, the Wellesley Girls and the screaming tunnel. Wow. Shortly after Wellesley was Newton and the infamous Heartbreak Hill. I remember hearing someone at the bottom of the hill yelling out "strong and steady! strong and steady!" so I chanted that to myself the whole way up. Before I realized it, Heartbreak Hill had come and gone and I was on the downhill side of it, still able to run. ( must have been all of that hill training on Flintridge!) Nothing in my way now!

Boston College came shortly after that and the yelling and cheers from the students lining both sides of the street were like an extra shot of caffeine. From that point on, the streets were lined with wall to wall people. It was easy to draw strength from their encouraging words, smiles, high fives and signs. The Citgo sign appeared at mile 25. While I was excited to be near the finish line, I was also sad knowing that my race was almost over. Shortly after that, I heard my name from the side and it was Michael- he made it from the T just two minutes before I ran past him. I was still feeling great. Up ahead were the final two turns: Right on Hereford and then left on Boylston. After turning left on Boylst on, I wanted to stop in my tracks and just stare at the masses of people lining the streets and the finish line ahead. The noise level of the crowds echoed between the buildings and was so energizing. Crossing the finish line in 3:57:47 was bittersweet. I reached my goal of going sub 4 in Boston, but my marathon was over. Not to worry, I WILL be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment