Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Marathon

It is still hard to put our thoughts into words.  Like all of you, we were shaken to the core and our prayers go out to those affected by the horrible, tragic events that occurred at the Boston Marathon on April 15.

Finish Strong Coaching had five athletes running at the event accompanied by many family members.  All are shaken, but physically unharmed.  Christelle Gigant finished in 3:34:02 well before the explosions, but had the gut-wrenching realization that her daughters had been standing along the finish line right where one of the explosions occurred only minutes earlier.

Jessica Menendez (3:44:28) and  Nora Wilson  (3:47:30) also both finished before the explosions and were out of harm's way.

Jessica had this to say, "My family (Mario, our kids, and my parents) had met me at mile 13 on the course and as I ran by they shouted "meet you at the finish line". As I was running down the final stretch, I ran along that same fence where the bombs went off trying to see my family. I didn't see them so after I crossed the finish line and got my gear check bag, they told us to go to the family meeting spot. I was standing under the M sign waiting for them. At one point I almost walked back to the finish line to look for them but I decided it would be better if I stayed in the same spot. Then I heard the 2 explosions coming from the finish line area. Everyone in the street around me just froze. We knew something was wrong. People started to panic and clear out. I was so scared because I didn't know if my family was near the finish line or not. I borrowed some random guy's cell phone and was able to reach Mario. I found out he had decided to take our family back to the hotel before the bombs went off because he thought the finish line area was too chaotic. He was walking back to the finish line and was 100 yards away when the bombs went off! Seconds later I called him and he came and got me. I have never been so scared. There were police, fire trucks, ambulances, big SWAT Hummers showing up everywhere. You didn't know if there were more bombs waiting to go off! Luckily we were leaving that night so we caught a shuttle back to the airport to get out of that area. I was so happy once we got up in the air."

Nora reported on Facebook that she and her husband, Lew, faced the chaotic after-math.  Nora writes, "I was already in the tunnel waiting for a train when we all heard and felt the two explosions. Nobody thought anything of it as noises like that happen in big cities. True until we were ordered to evacuate the station and once on the street we were told train stations were on lockdown. Sirens, cops, .... 9/11- like. Then details. Walked several miles and across a bridge to get back to Cambridge ASAP just in case they shut bridges down which they did not. Beautiful day ended so tragically. Senseless."

Lisa Hill finished in 4:17 -- 8 minutes before the first explosion. Read more about Jessica and Lisa's story in the Conroe Courier. 
Woodlands marathon duo witness the Boston explosions - Your Houston News: News
 Phillip DePrang had not yet arrived at the finish and was pulled off the course.  Fortunately, his family was in contact with him and knew he was okay.

There are two running events scheduled today to honor those who were killed or injured in Boston.
Luke's Locker has a 3 mile run/walk that will leave from the store today (Wednesday) at 6pm.  Runners are encouraged to wear yellow, blue or Boston gear.  All are welcome.  Or run with the Woodlands Running Club at 7pm leaving from the entrance of Town Green Park









No comments:

Post a Comment