Monday, April 19, 2010

Boston Marathon


The prestigious Boston Marathon was held on April 19. Finish Strong Kristin Collins and Ed York were among the thousands of participants who finished this famous 26.2 mile course. Kristin finished in 3:49 -- her second fastest marathon ever. Ed finished in 3:39.

Kristin recaps her race...

"The 114th Boston Marathon was my second Boston and it proved, again, to be a world class race and fabulous experience. Although it was rainy on Saturday and Sunday, Marathon Monday was absolutely perfect. Not a cloud in the sky and 42 degrees as we walked from our hotel to the Public Garden where I stood in line with thousands of others waiting to be whisked away 26.2 miles to Hopkinton and the Athlete Village, which was an energizing place to be.

There was excitement and nervousness in the air as runners stood around, sat on cardboard, read the paper, played card games, drank coffee and performed pre-race rituals. Soon, over the loud speaker, announcements were being made for runners to begin the walk towards the starting corrals. I found my corral, shed extra clothing and before long, was crossing the starting line!! My 14th marathon was under way!! Like last year, the road from Hopkinton was lined with spectators, eager to cheer everyone on. I heard "Go Blue!!" numerous times and waved back at people.

Leaving Hopkinton, we ran through Ashland. Little kids held out their hands anxiously awaiting a high five and I complied. Mile five was my first Michael sighting. He took the train out to Framingham. It was great seeing a familiar, friendly face! The Red Sox were down by three in the third inning. Dang. Natick came and went. A group of college kids were barbecuing up on a lawn and it smelled really good!

The Welseley Girls didn't disappoint at mile 12. They were out in full force with their high pitched screams and "kiss me" signs. Up ahead was Newton. Those hills were on my mind once again. Steady going up, work the downhills, I kept telling myself. Each hill I thought was Heartbreak Hill. And then there was another one. Where were all of these things last year?

Okay, focus...back to business...A little while later, I heard my name and I looked to my left, there was Michael again. At mile 20, just like he promised. This time he brought the cowbell. Finally, I made it up Heartbreak Hill as Michael screamed " That effort deserves a little more cowbell!!" It was sort of all downhill from there. The last 6 miles went by in a blur. Still trying to stay focused and keep on a decent pace. Soon after, Boston College was in sight. I ran on the right side of the road so that I could high five all of the people lining the course. They were so loud and inspiring. I really think my pace picked up.

Mile 23, I heard my name and looked over to see Jon Walk taking pictures and waving. Another friendly face! Michael was still running along side of me ( off the course) screaming my name, taking pictures and clanging the cowbell. 3 more miles to go!!! I can do anything for 3 miles!! Mile 24 came and went. Then the Citgo sign appeared on the horizon. Mile 25! I looked to my right just in time to catch a glimpse of Fenway Park. The streets were full of spectators and it was difficult to run in places because there were so many of them but it made the experience even better. Next thing I knew, the course took a hard right turn- Hereford Street. Already? Yep! One more turn onto Boylston and the Finish Line.

Boylston was crowded with spectators and like last year, it sounded like a stadium full of cheering fans. They must have been 8-10 deep along some parts of the sidewalk. I wanted to just stop and take it all in, but I was on the clock! Crossing the finish line was both a happy and sad moment. Happy that I had just completed another marathon and sad that my Boston experience was over. It took me several minutes to remember to look at my watch. 3:49:24 was my finish time!! After getting The Medal, a bottle of water and a snack bag, I made my way to the clothing buses and then found Michael. Although my quads by now were on fire, I ran/hobbled to him and gave him a big hug and wished him Happy Birthday. It wasn't until we were home that I realized that this was my second fastest marathon!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment