Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Du for the Parks

It was a much longer drive up to Hot Springs, Arkansas than what I had expected but with the whole family along for the trip the time I didn't mind too much. This was our first time to Hot Springs and we wish we could have spent more time there. Scenic with lots of things to do if you liked being outside.

We made the trip so I could race the Du for the Parks which was the Arkansas State Championship race this year. The race course (2 mile run/12 mile bike/2 miles run) is rather scenic but it was raining and the course was slick. The goal for the day was to stay up right!

There was a lot of good competition on the start line and the first run started very fast. I was about 6th off the run in 11:34. Jim Griffis, also from The Woodlands, ad a good first run but slip coming into T1 and crashed into a barrier (see "slick course" statement above!). Out on the bike, the leader crashed going into the first high speed turn and that seemed to slow all of the lead group. On the out and back rolling course it was hard to get into a good rhythm but I was able to work my way up into a loose group of 4 riders. A young man from Tulsa was off the front and riding well. A quick transition got me on the second run with 3 others who had all out run me on the first run. I settled into a good pace but about 1/2 mile into the run I knew I had to do something as I was running 4th along side one with the other 2 about 20 yards up the road. I put in a surge but the guy stayed with me so I put in a second surge and broke him. I bridged up to the other two and kept on going hard. Todd Hink held on for a while but I could tell he was working hard so I kept the pressure on. I guess that I was running sub 5:30 pace during this time. Todd fell off just before the turn around and then I just did what was needed to stay comfortably ahead of him and the others (as you can tell by the picture of me looking over my shoulder!). I finished 2nd overall a little over a minute out of first place.

It was a good, competitive race which I like. And it was a very nice venue, one I would like to come back to. Especially if it's a nice sunny and dry day!

No comments:

Post a Comment